Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Fitness Pin: 500 Calorie Workout

Oh my goodness!!

Looking at this list of exercises and knowing I had to do them all (besides the 100 jumping jacks) was a little daunting at first.  When I resolved to try it and give it my best effort, I turned on a work out playlist, drank a bottle of water, and pulled my hair up into a ponytail.

Running in place and toe touches were a good warm up and helped ease me into the craziness.  I was going along rather well until I got to the 45 second plank.  Here is where I first stumbled.  Who knew how long 45 seconds was!  I had to stop every 5 seconds it seemed.  I kept trying to think about different inspirations, reasons why I was working out, and even other pins like:
Then I would collapse, and try again...
And I would squeeze and gasp...

And I would collapse again
and again 
And finally my phone alerted me that it had not actually been 15 minutes but only 45 seconds.  I knew I would have to do it again on the way back down the pyramid and the pin that ended up sticking with me was this one:

The second time I did the 45 second plank, I counted to ten and tried to make it at least those ten seconds.  I was able to do 3 counts of ten before my phone alarm went off.  I was going to do another ten count then another five count, but ended up continuing with the work out.  The plank is going to be one of those exercises that will become part of my warm-up.

I continued on after the plank relatively well until I got to the tricep extension.  I was not sure exactly what it was, so I did what I thought it was and figured I would look it up later.  Now, after having looked it up, I am happy to say that I did the right exercise!

Right after the tricep extension, I saw that I needed to do sit ups, but I ended up doing crunches thinking it would be fine until I got further on and realized there was a separate line specifically for crunches.  The second time around, I did do sit ups and was flabbergasted at how hard it was to do!  The last time I did sit ups, I had another elementary school kid holding down my feet.  I remember once using the edge of a couch to hold down my feet and that is so what I did not do this time.  I will have to look into suggestions for how to keep form for a sit up.  I had heard it can be straining on your kneck to do sit ups so I might do crunches then instead of sit ups.

On I went, going through each exertion until I hit the next doozy: chest flyes.  Initially, I misread the number of reps and only did 50 when I should have done 55 so the second time around I wanted to make up for it and did 60.  By the time I hit 30 on the second go, I was pulling my arms in to rest every few flys.  By the time I hit the last one, I was about ready to cry, but by george I did them!

The pieze de resistance was the 100 jumping jacks.  Even though you only had to do them once, once was enough.  Before I started them, I changed the song to something that was gonna help amp me up and stared out the window finding my spot and jumped!  Honey, I jumped and kept jumping.  Hit 30 and thought, I'm only 20 away from being halfway done.  I hit fifty and briefly thought about stopping and doing the rest later. In that moment, I knew I needed to finish them now and get them over with.  Then I was at 60.  I had to really focus at that point because it was all mind over body.  Every breath was a count and I knew if I slowed down even once I would stop and never move again.  I got to 80 and excitedly zeroed in on the last 20 jumping jacks.  My body really wanted to stop, I mean there was such negotiating going on internally I think I owe my body a professional massage.  I got to 90 and could barely believe it, only ten left but could I even get one more out?  Doggedly, I just kept jumping.  I earned each and every one but especially those last 5.  I did collapse and briefly paused in the workout at that point.  Not only had I just done 100 jumping jacks, but it was after having worked out almost 30 minutes.  

I think this is a great workout for once a week.  I'm currently trying different workouts and active options and this, though an hour long, is definitely worth doing regularly.  I do think the biggest thing I took away from this workout was my need to work on holding the plank and how much I can do if I just keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment